Tuesday 7 July 2015

Slow Cooked Beef Madras

Happy Tasty Tuesday, to you all.

My recipe for today is another one I do all the damn time. Cause it's fast, simple and cheap. Well it didn't used to be cheap. We used to buy a nice piece of beef and cook it for about an hour on the stove.

We would like to buy a house one day so that became unreasonable quickly. Now we buy the cheapest chunk of beef we can find and I modified the recipe to work in the slow cooker. On the stove this comes out chewy and gross, but in the slow cooker it is tender and gnarly and perfect!


Start by searing off the beef in batches to give it some colour. I also use the pan to make the sauce so the brown bits of flavour at the bottom do not go to waste.




Once the beef is cooked off and in the slow cooker I add a little bit more oil and sautee some red onions.


Add the spices once the onions are starting to get tender. Curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. That needs to toast for a bit to get the flaours going.




Once the spices are nicely toasted and sticking to the bottom of the pan I add about 1-1.5 cups of water, 2 packages of dried beef stock and most of a small can of tomato paste.


Consult with your spectators.


After the sauce has bubbled on medium for 3-5 minutes you can add it to your slow cooker.


In my slow cooker I typically cook it for 6 hours on low and then switch it to high for 2-3 hours. The low setting cooks everything and makes it tender. The couple of hours on high make it dark and deeply flavourful.




As I like to say, she wouldn't win homecoming queen but is so good. When I have fresh mint I like to tear a bit up to sprinkle on top and serve with brown rice and/or naan.

Beef madras is a meal that I love making and eating.

--Siobhan xoxo

1 comment: